Friday, October 10, 2008

Tummy Trouble

We have been having a time with Jonah lately. For the 1st three weeks of his life, he was the perfect baby--sleeping and eating on a self-imposed schedule and only crying when he needed food (he is one of those who likes to sit in a wet diaper, yuck!). Lately, however, he has been screaming for seemingly no reason except that he was obviously in pain.
Well, like any internet savvy mother, I WebMD'd his symptoms and found that he most likely had reflux. I called the Dr. who proscribed Zantac. Great, I thought, this is going to be over soon and my wonderful baby will be back. Not so fast, sister.
First, Jonah hated the taste of the Zantac so it was difficult to get him to take it. Then I spilled half the bottle trying to get him to take it. Finally it didn't seem to be working at all. He would still have these screaming fits and be writhing in pain, so much so that I dreaded feeding him and he wouldn't be getting hardly any sleep at night.
Yesterday I took him to the doctor and he was checked over thoroughly. Nothing blocking the stomach or intestines, that he could tell, and it just seems that the Zantac wouldn't work for him. Now he's on baby Prevecid and seems to be doing better, but we'll see. I really hope this works, because if it doesn't, I don't know what to do.

No comments: