Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Quarter Life Crisis (or Can I Have a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?)

"Back to school. Back to school, to prove to Dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch packed up, my boots tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight. Ohhhh, back to school. Back to school. Back to school."
- Billy Madison
Any update that starts with a Billy Madison quote must be good, right? Or really bad, depending on what you think of Adam Sandler's early attempts at post-SNL fame.
School is back in session and Jenna is there. It was strange to go back and not strange all at the same time. It's like I was watching a DVD, hit pause, then hit resume six months later. Things are the same, but different. I have a better outlook on school nowadays; it's hard not to when you know there are more important things in life than being number one in a class (and I honestly feel pity for people who don't understand what that means).
I watched the inauguration of our 44th president and, for the first time in a long time, I felt hope for the United States. It's as if we've been living behind a dark curtain and it was lifted last Tuesday. No matter one's political opinions, it is wrong to hope that this current administration fails. If it fails, we fail as a nation. Remember, we are only as strong as we are united, weak as we are divided.
I hit 25 last Friday. I can't say it was disappointing, but I can say it is frightening. I am married, have a child, and am finishing a post-graduate degree. On paper I sound as if I am fulfilling every goal the average person has--that I have it all together. Oh, my friend, I have nothing together. I honestly feel no more adult than I did four years ago (and certainly less so than I did at 18). To adapt a quote, if you know everything at 18, you know nothing at 25 (or 29, or 36, or 42). I had the world figured out once and will spend the rest of my life trying to do it again. Don't get me wrong, I love my life and wouldn't change a thing (ok, maybe I would look like Heidi Klum), but the what ifs always pop up when the mind is least able to deal with them.
I have lost 5 lbs. on Weight Watchers and will probably lose nothing this week, as my birthday has given me the excuse to eat processed sugar. I am still about 30 lbs. away from my goal and at least 10 away from what I weighed when I got pregnant, but I am trying to take it a week at a time. I've realized it's not the junk food I miss (although everyone should know of my Doritos weakness and my sugar addiction) but food that isn't junk but still not so low fat (Pad Thai anyone?).
I've been having the strangest dreams lately. I mean REALLY strange. Could I possibly blame the diet?

No comments: