Friday, May 16, 2008

Damn Nature, You Scary!!

Today I take my last exam!!! Woowho!!!!!!
I also found a Mimi Maternity dress for the wedding at Hudson's (yes, Hudson's) for only $30.00, originally $148.00. Pretty cool.
The only thing is, I've started that whole "what the hell is going on with my body" part of the pregnancy.
Jonah is very active, which is really cool. I thought it would be creepy, but it's actually quite reassuring--especially since you spend the first trimester kind of wondering what the hell is happening in there.
The problem comes in that I am a very independent person and I've had to start asking for help doing things. It's hard to bend at the waist (after all, there is a little person in there--a baby, not a midget) and all my internal organs are being crowded. Breathing is becoming a bit more difficult and it seems like my heart is racing all the time (don't worry though, apparently none of this is outside the realm of normal). I can't really get comfortable to sleep (although I blame some of that on the 50 lb. brown dog who doesn't seem to understand that I can sleep without his protection) and when I do sleep it seems like I have acid reflux ALL THE TIME.
I know I really shouldn't be complaining because, all in all, I've had a very normal pregnancy, thank God. But it is really strange to suddenly have your body doing all these things for which you are really just the spectator. It's not like I have to go, "Okay, I think today we'll grow the liver," it just happens--which is pretty awesome because I'm terribly afraid that if I was running this whole show I would forget something important, like eyebrows, and then my child would look funny for the rest of his life. The fact that NOTHING that is happening is within my powers of control makes this control-freak pretty mental.
I've never been one of those "Miracle of Life" people (in fact I've always thought those people got into some bad--or really good--granola) but I do finally understand what those loonies have meant. It is pretty amazing that the human body just knows what to do. It forms all the necessary parts without even thinking about it (something that we humans still can't do--this comment is pointed to the people who constructed our refrigerator that still isn't cooling correctly even though it's not over a year old and it's been worked on twice--ERGH). I just waddle along, eating my Egg McMuffins (which Jonah seems to LOVE, btw) while everything (hopefully) just falls into place. Oh yeah, plus all those annoying symptoms that seem to be nature's little way of saying "Hey, a little respect! I'm really working hard here while you watch true crime shows and eat Ice Pops!"

No comments: