The baby registry is a new invention perpetrated by big box stores to try and get everyone to buy the same things for their child. Most of the stuff they "recommend" (i.e. force you to put on your registry and manually take off online at home if you don't want it) is really stuff you don't need. It feeds on the insecurity that all new moms have when it comes to worrying that if the slightest thing is done wrong the child will be forever screwed up. I, too, have become the victim of this philosophy.
I have a baby registry at Babies R Us (a store that I love and loathe all at the same time) and Pottery Barn Kids (everyone reading this should know of my obsession with anything Pottery Barn--yes I know it isn't healthy). I'm pretty sure I have a couple of other floating around out there that I made while in classes, but they aren't really the ones that have anything good on them. The two I previously mentioned seem complete and fabulous--like I know exactly what I'm doing.
I don't. I have no idea if I will need anything that is on these two lists. I have so much stuff on them that if I get everything the baby will need his own house (I don't expect to get everything, just FYI). I have spent HOURS reading reviews of stroller brands and particular stroller models. Sadly, I was almost on board with the "Well, if it's expensive, it must be good" way of thinking because of all the contradictory information. I have been very lucky to get a slightly used Graco car seat or I know I would have spent even more time researching that. I just don't have anymore energy to look at the high chair reviews. I have no clue. Some seem to be good for smaller babies, some for larger babies, and as Jonah is currently weighing in at around 4 lbs. and average is 3.3 lbs., I get the feeling we're having one of the latter (he's estimated to be around 8 lbs. at birth--yay for me). I did find a stroller I like, that wasn't $300, had tons of good reviews, and actually has a dinosaur print on it. Plus, it's a Graco and thus compatible with our carseat. I ordered it from Wal-Mart and hopefully it will live up to expectations when it comes in.
Another thing that had irritated me with the registries is that the stuff I put on it originally goes out of stock so quickly or isn't available online and in stores. I have a jogging stroller on the Babies R Us registry that now is only available in stores--if it happens to be in stock there. I also found a lightweight stroller that I really like, plus a portion of the proceeds goes to pediatric AIDS research, but I can't put it on the registry and it's only available online.
As you can tell, I'm obsessing right now. I have way too much time on my hands and nothing to do (or nothing I am able to do at 7 1/2-almost 8-months pregnant). If anyone would like to see the random stuff I've put on the registries, go to either of the two stores' websites and take a look-see. Plus, any moms reading this, I would love to know what I should or should not put on the registry. Anything that has wasted your time and space will certainly waste mine!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment